Friday, October 6, 2006

The Honeymoon is Over
I hate my Mac Mini exactly as much as I've hated every other HAL I've owned. I was a fool to think that the hype was true, that Macs were "better" than PCs. Macs are just as infernal as PCs; both are horrors and constant afronts to human dignity. I thought this would be the first HAL I'd like, or at least not hate; I was disgustingly, unforgivably naive. My HAL is an adversary, an enemy of my happiness.

Upon further reflection, I should have perhaps directed my frustrations at my CD of Good or Suck!, the failure of which to properly interact with my HAL set off the above tirade. Still, the Mountain's theory that home-burned CDs simply decay faster than store-bought doesn't mollify me, since the two CDs I ripped yesterday, Can't Stop the Love Sled and the Katia & Scott EP, both by The Watergirl, were both home-burned CDs and neither gave iTunes any fits.

I think "The Honeymoon is Over" is an apt title, since the marriage of man and machine will continue, and I hope that many years of happiness await us, it's just that the fool's paradise of the honeymoon is over.

No comments: