Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Victors
The news of the day, of course, it that the overrated University of Southern California Trojans fell to the scrappy Oregon State University Beavers; so, the valiant University of Michigan Wolverines are now the undisputed No. 2 team in the country. We didn't look very good against the scholarly Northwestern University Wildcats in today's contest, but school spirit demands that I push aside any doubts floated as a result of such an uninspired showing. And I do believe with all my heart that any victory you can walk away with is a good one. Go Blue!

Victory for Hockeytown
Last night, the Mountain and I drove into Dallas to watch the Dallas Stars host the Detroit Red Wings at the American Airlines Center. Woot, the Wings won 4-3! It had been literally years since I'd attended a hockey game; I hadn't forgotten how much fun they are, but it was nice to be reminded just the same. Hee hee! Of course, the very notion of an ice hockey rink in the State of Texas is an abomination, and no NHL venue can match the joyous frenzy of Yost Ice Arena (nee Yost Field House), but a good time was indeed had by all.

Which leads us to...

Monstrous
At least one team from Detroit won on Friday night. Ha! I loathe baseball, especially Major League Baseball, but for the benefit of the City of Detroit, I did want the Tigers to win the "World" Series. Still, I have to give the dark bastard his due: part of me enjoyed the defeat. I used to work at Comerica Park in the service of the Squirrel King. Never in my tenure did I see the stadium filled to capacity. Everybody loves a winner, but where was the love for the almost record-settingly bad Tigers of just two years hence? I am sorry the true-blue faithful of the Olde English D were denied a championship, but I am glad the fairweather frauds who only discovered their "love" for Detroit baseball this past summer were denied a cheap thrill.

But a win in the pompously named World Series (Seriously, when was the last time a Cuban or Chinese team was allowed to compete? The world is bigger than just the United States of America and the Dominion of Canada!) would be good for the perpetually beleaguered City of Detroit, the jewel (tarnished, but the jewel nevertheless) in my cherished Michigan's crown; so, there's always next year. Here's to next year. *toast*

BTW South Song of the Day
Dance Hall Crashers, "Triple Track" (live) from The Live Record (T.L.A.M.)

Friday, October 27
OK Go, "Get Over It" from an OK Go sampler, title unknown (Mt. Love)

No comments: