Friday, October 20, 2006

The Mountain of Love and my sister-in-law-to-be are in Waco with the rest of the Fwopera troupe and my sister-in-law-to-be's sister is staying with a friend in Dallas; so, I've got the run of BTW South all to myself tonight. I watched the touchy-feely show Six Degrees tonight because I'm man enough to admit I have a hetero crush on the actor Campbell Scott. Specifically, the oddity in his voice.

P O L I S
Job "Snow Job" Snow - founder of Snow Endeavors, Ltd.
Scheherazade "Zadie" Khalid - junior of Snow's two personal Snowmen
Hiram "Hotspur" Mellon - Snow's loyal second
Bramell "Bram" Frost* - senior of Snow's two personal Snowmen
Sydney Lamont (probably a stage name, I have yet to devise her real name) - the chink in Snow's armor

I really like the world I'm creating for Polis, I like how it's taking shape. The fall of the nation-states, the rise of the city-states, the coming of the ice; the Bailiwicks of Reprisal, Light & Power, and Husbandry and the Mayor's secret Office of Foreign Adventure; the Foragers and the Constables, the Windsor Boys and the American Club; the burlesque clubs and the churches, packed to capacity on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings, respectively; the struggle to shine the bright lights of the polis on the darkling underbelly of the city.

*Yes, Frost is one of Snow Job's most effective Snowmen (agents; the job description falls somewhere in-between private detective, cat burglar, and hired goon), but for your continued health and prosperity I advise against calling him "Frosty the Snowman."

No comments: