Thursday, October 12, 2006

Parker Posey Appreciation Day
Last weekend, presumably on the streets of the Big Apple, Skeeter saw one of the finest and most ridiculously talented actors to have ever graced the American cinema, Parker Posey. I was made aware of this through the following email:

Subject: dude
i just saw parker posey


My replied opened:

That's wicked.

If nothing else, I am reminded that I really, really need to see The OH in Ohio. Also, dear Bog, I hope Fay Grim is better than Henry Fool, the film to which it is a sequel/continuation/what have you.

The Victors
I am mightily pleased by the success the Wolverines have enjoyed to this point in the college football season, but one thing nags at me: it had been mentioned by several sports pundits (whenever possible, I try to coincide my daily workout with Pardon the Interruption) that this year's Michigan team is haunted/motivated by last year's dismal 7-5 record, the Wolverines are resolute in their quest to restore their tarnished honor. This is all well and good, but I must ask, Where was this competitive fire last year? As far as personnel, the mighty '06 Wolverines are essentially the same team as during the sad sack '05 season. The pain of last year was moderated only the tiniest bit by the thought that, well, we just weren't that talented a squad. Apparently, we were a rather grand team that inexplicably chose to be repeatedly humiliated by lesser foes, which makes the whole miserable spectacle that much more irksome.

Still, what's done is done, and at least this year Coach Carr and the Wolverines have heeded Santayana's famous maxim. By Jove, I hope they of the famed winged helmets triumph over the Nittany Lions. Go Blue!

Deep in the Heart of Darkness... er, Texas
The L.A.W. is going to be in the Dallas-Fort Worthless area (incessantly called "the Metroplex" by the locals) next week for work. It is an all too rare treat for the full troika of Wilsons to come together. Huzzah! In the latter part of next week, my sister-in-law-to-be and her sister will be visiting to help celebrate a quarter century of the Mountain of Love. And the following week, the Mountain and I will be joining a friend/Fwopera colleague of his at American Airlines Center to watch a contest between the venerable Detroit Red Wings and the abominable Dallas Stars. (Restore the Minnesota North Stars!) Despite the Captain's retirement, I will of course be wearing my No. 19 sweater/jersey, replete with the "Believe" patch from the '97-98 season and successful Stanley Cup campaign.

The New Gods
{Furious Females}

I have a few ideas for junior members of Granny Goodness's Female Fury Battalion: Killary, Smasha, and Sing-Song. While the Female Furies are usually represented, and rightly so, by the core four of Lashina, Bernadeth, Stompa, and Mad Harriet, we must remember that in Kirby's original Mister Miracle, the Female Fury Battalion was really a battalion, with a sizable barracks overflowing with Furies.

I had originally thought to name Sing-Song "Sonica," pairing her with Killary as a twisted Apokolips version of valley girl names like Monica and Hillary, but I think I prefer Sing-Song; it has more of a depraved quality than does Sonica. I'm assuming Smasha is a younger cousin or sister of Stompa. The only question with Killary is how closely to model her on the junior United States Senator from the State of New York.

BTW South Song of the Day
New Found Glory, "Coming Home" from Coming Home (Mt. Love)

No comments: