Monday, October 30, 2006

It's four in the morning and I can't sleep; so, I'm reading Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down. Or I might have that bass ackward. I might still be awake at four in the morning because I'm reading A Long Way Down and I love Nick Hornby's novels, they make me love the world, they make me excited; so, reading one "to go to sleep" might have been a daft move. Intention schmintention, six of one, half-dozen of the other. I'm awake, it's after four o'clock in the morning, and until I woke my HAL I'd been reading A Long Way Down, the latest by British novelist Nick Hornby. These facts may be in no way related. Who can say for sure?

Moments ago, the character Martin made a passing reference to the inability of Daleks to traverse stairs. Until quite recently, I'd never heard of a Dalek much less had the slightest inkling that for all their dread might they couldn't mount a flight of steps. Knowing what little I know about Daleks enhanced my already considerable enjoyment of A Long Way Down. My thanks, then, to Doctor Hee Haw for bringing the Daleks to my attention. Thanks, Seth!

No comments: