Sunday, February 4, 2007

Dieu Et Mon Droit
Memorizing the kings of England (from the Norman Conquest to the present) is a skill like any other and requires practice. (It is through practice that I got to the point where I could list of the Presidents of the United States in my sleep.)

William the Conqueror (I)
William II
Henry I
Stephen
*Matilda
Henry II
Richard the Lionheart (I)
John
Henry III
Edward I
Edward II
Edward III
Richard II
Henry IV
Henry V
Henry VI
Edward IV
*Edward V
Richard III
Henry VII
Henry VIII
Edward VI
Mary I
*Jane
Elizabeth I
James I
Charles I
Interregnum of the tyrants/hypocrites Oliver Cromwell & Richard Cromwell
Charles II
James II
William III & Mary II
Anne
George I
George II
George III
George IV
William IV
Victoria
Edward VII
George V
Edward VIII
George VI
Elizabeth II
~Charles III
~William V

*Never actually ruled anything.
~Probable line of succession.

BTW South Song of the Day
The Blues Brothers, "Going Back to Miami" from Made in America (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Going Back of Miami" was chosen in honor of Super Bowl XLI, the last real football game until the Fall, to be played tomorrow in Miami between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts. There are two reasons behind the selection: a) Seemingly every other other Super Bowl is played in Miami; so, yes, the Super Bowl is indeed going back to Miami... again. b) The Blues Brothers are, of course, from Chicago, and as a loyal son of Big Ten Country, the very heartland of football and home to the NFC Norris, I very much want for da Bears to triumph over that smarmy Peyton Manning. Sure, sure, the Colts' current home in Indianapolis is very geographically close to Chicago, but this is s sham; we all know that Baltimore is the only true home of the Colts. Additionally, the Colts play in a dome, like pussies; the Bears man-up for games in wintery Soldier Field, on the frosty shores of Lake Michigan. (Yes, I also think my Detroit Lions are pussies for playing in a dome, as are the Minnesota Vikings.) Come on Bears, let's win this one for sweet home Chicago, the City of Broad Shoulders, the home of This American Life, a truly Midwestern metropolis.

No comments: