Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday to my mom, The Worrywart! I've always told her how lucky she is so many people around the world brave the elements and pour out into the cold to celebrate her birthday; she insists that they are instead celebrating New Year's Eve, but I've tired my best to disabuse her of that silly notion. Happy birthday, Mom!

Also, Happy New Year, one and all! Everything's going to be great in '08!

The Explorers Club
No. LVIII - The Jamestown Colony, founded in 1607, the first English settlement in the New World.






I would never have forgiven myself had I allowed 2007 to pass without in some small way marking the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown. Without Jamestown, there would be no United States of America, and without America what hope would exist for this world of woe and wonder? Odd to think that the fate of the world entire turned on the fortunes of Captain John Smith, John Rolfe, and a handful of Englishmen who came to this "Virginia" because of their lust for gold. History is a funny thing.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Holiday
John Williams & the London Symphony Orchestra, "The Battle in the Snow" from Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology, Disc 2: The Empire Strikes Back (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:



Need I say more?

No comments: