Friday, April 11, 2008

The Victors: Notre Dame 5-4 Michigan (OT)
Defeat is spelled S-A-U-E-R.

Without Billy Sauer, we outscored the vile Fighting Irish 4-2, but the three extremely soft goals he gave up were too much ultimately to overcome. We had to fight all game to claw our way back, and Notre Dame never relented. I would not be so quick to throw the devil Sauer under the bus if the exact same thing had not happened in last year's N.C.A.A. tournament, when "The Sour Sieve" gave up seven goals in an 8-5 loss to North Dakota. Billy Sauer chokes in single-elimination tournament hockey, it's as simple as that. I hope one day he finds something he's good at, because big time goaltending certainly isn't it.

Meanwhile, my congratulations to Alistair on his boys' victory; I am not congratulating them, I am congratulating my friend.

On Saturday, the vile Fighting Irish will face the chumpish Eagles of Boston College, and one of those two bottomfeeders will skate away the N.C.A.A. champion. What a repugnant thought. I will of course be rooting for The Meteor, and hoping fervently for Billy Sauer to give up hockey at once and for all time.

Go Blue!

Believe: Red Wings 3-1 Predators
One down, fifteen to go.

No comments: