Friday, March 13, 2009

The Queue
I'm in the mood for mysteries, influenced undoubtedly by Project TRITON, a tale with mystery and detection at its heart, no matter what other alterations we make to it. So, The Immortalists shall have to wait a little while longer, and in the meantime I am even considering reading some Agatha Christie. I already know the ending of Murder on the Orient Express; so, I might start with Death on the Nile or even The Moustrap. With the exception of Shakespeare, I've never read a play outside of an assignment, making The Mousetrap, should I attempt it, twice over an experiment. Of course, there are plays in The Complete Saki; so, my experience will be expanded beyond the Bard of Avon one way or the other.

Should I enjoy What Angels Fear, I will most certainly tackle its two extant sequels, When Gods Die and Why Mermaids Sing.

Recently
David J. Brown, Bridges: Three Thousand Years of Defying Nature
Kim Newman, The Bloody Red Baron
Adriana Czupryn, Małgorzata Omilanowska, & Ulrich Schwendimann, Eyewitness Travel Guides: Switzerland
Rick Steves, Rick Steves' Switzerland 2007
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Edgar Allan Poe, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "The Tell-Tale Heart," and "The Gold-Bug" (from The Gold-Bug and Other Tales‡)

Currently
C. S. Harris, What Angels Fear
Jacques-Yves Cousteau, "Exploring a New World Undersea," Great Adventures with National Geographic

Presently
David M. Friedman, The Immortalists: Charles Lindbergh, Dr. Alexis Carrel, and Their Daring Quest to Live Forever
Saki, When William Came: A Story of London Under the Hohenzollerns (from The Complete Saki)
Ernest Shackleton, South
John Toland, The Great Dirigibles: Their Triumphs and Disasters (catch as catch can)
Sloane Crosley, I Was Told There'd be Cake
John Hodgman, The Areas of My Expertise
Kim Newman, Dracula Cha Cha Cha

†Containing the short stories, all of which I had previously read in this same volume:
"A Scandal in Bohemia"
"The Red-headed League"
"A Case of Identity"
"The Boscombe Valley Mystery"
"The Five Orange Pips"
"The Man With the Twisted Lip"
"The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"
"The Adventure of the Speckled Band"
"The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb"
"The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor"
"The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet"
"The Adventure of the Copper Beeches"

‡I have owned this thin volume for many years, one of the neat Dover Thrift Editions, but have never read all that it contains. I had previously read, all multiple times, in order of personal fondness:
"The Cask of Amontillado"
"The Masque of the Red Death"
"The Tell-Tale Heart"
"The Fall of the House of Usher"

To these can now be added:
"The Gold-Bug"
"The Murders in the Rue Morgue"

I have never yet read:
"Ligeia"
"The Pit and the Pendulum"
"The Black Cat"

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Seven Thirty Seven/Shoe Glue" (live) from Live From the Middle East (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: