Friday, March 6, 2009

Who watches (the) Watchmen? I did, and enjoyed it more than I'd anticipated. I've never read Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's Watchmen and so cannot comment intelligently on the faithfulness to the comics of the motion picture, but I do continue to be impressed with Zack Snyder's films. Also, I am not a tremendous fan of those Alan Moore-authored comics I have read, and personally enjoy the cinematic adaptations of quite a number of novels and comic books, but I do hold a good deal of respect for Moore's consistent opposition to his comics being adapted into movies. I disagree with his position, but I applaud his refusal to abandon his personal and creative ethics.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Atomic Fireballs, "Hit By a Brick" from Torch This Place (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: To torch is one of our best and most underutilized verbs, alongside such gems as to brain and to weasel. I thought of "Hit By a Brick" yesterday when I railed on the B.T.W. Forums for someone to be hit in the face with a brick, the first time in far too long that I'd used that turn of phrase.

No comments: