Sunday, June 17, 2012

24 Heures du Mans | 7:37:00
There are still forty-plus cars competing, but in the golden light of the post-dawn-yet-still-early morning the Circuit de la Sarthe looks empty. Things have calmed down since the carnage of the dark night, with those competitors still in it wearily facing the stark reality that though they endured the night, arguably even conquered the night, there are still hours & hours of hard racing ahead, hours & hours in which a single moment's lost concentration can render all for naught an entire year of preparation.

I am very, very tired. This is the time when my resolve has wavered in each of the previous years, when I deviated from the plan to stay awake, to endure, for the entire twenty-four hours, & instead sought the succor of a few hours' sleep, waking up barely in time for the finish. Each time, I've been disappointed by having missed so much of the action, so this time I must not waver. This time I must not yield to fatigue. What do we think, would less Beck's & more water help me stay alert?

Current leaders (by make)
L.M.P.1: Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
L.M.P.2: Honda ARX-03b
G.T.E. Pro: Ferrari 458 Italia
G.T.E. Am: Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1

No comments: