Monday, June 18, 2012

Autobahn
I was in an automobile collision today, riding in the passenger seat as my dad drove; we were on our way to the Home Despot to fetch some home improvement materials. It was a very low-speed collision here in our own neighborhood. We were coming around a bend in the road when a barmy crone was rounding the same bend heading in the other direction. She was heading in the other direction, but more or less in our lane. Dad honked the horn & threw the steering wheel to the right trying to avoid her, but instead of taking evasive action she actually increased her turn into us; she make the exact wrong move, & smashed into us. Worst of all, the witch couldn't offer any explanation of why she'd rammed us, she said that she couldn't understand why she'd done what she'd done. A woman is more than the sum of the worst thing she's ever done, but I am having a really hard time not wishing horrors & tragedies upon that irresponsible jerk. I take no small degree of satisfaction from the fact that the damage to her S.U.V. was much greater than the purely cosmetic damage to Dad's station wagon. She didn't look too elderly to be on the roads, but I'd still think it a good idea to strip her of her operator's license; she's clearly too incompetent to operate safely a motorcar & this poses a danger to herself &, more significantly, since no one would care if she dropped dead tonight, to others.

He's Dead, Jim
The swelling above my right eye has all but disappeared. The contact sensitivity has gone away, leaving behind ever-diminishing visual evidence of the odd occurrence. This is not the first time this has happened to me; I've not noted a pattern for these episodes of swelling, except that I think they only afflict the right eye. (Good thing, too, since I am left-eye dominant.) A minor medical mystery that will be all but forgotten unless & until the condition recurs.

I went to bed at 10:00 P.M. last night & was able to fall asleep without difficulty. I slept 'til 8:00 A.M. this morning & awoke feeling like myself again, the fog of fatigue from Le Mans having lifted. That fatigue is a small price to pay for the grandeur that is the 24 Hours, but it's nice to be back on track.

Vote for Kodos
Governor Romney is holding a rally tomorrow in Frankenmuth, & I've been recruited as a volunteer. What will be my task? Unknown. I'm waking up extraordinarily early so as to fulfill a "personal favor" to a chap I might have to murder. I'm going to bed directly after publishing this post, but fear I'll have difficulty falling asleep. Just when I restored my sleep cycle, I'm about to throw it out of whack again.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Proclaimers, "Wages of Sin" from Notes & Rhymes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"So I hope, and I pray,
That the wages of sin aren't paid today."


Sonntag, 17 Juni
Edvard Grieg, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: