Monday, September 23, 2013

Autobahn
Yesterday, I exited the green grocer's to find the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile parked opposite a Holden—Holden, General Motors's Australasian subsidiary. Holden's are sold here in the U.S. but rebadged; the late Pontiac G8 was a rebadged VE Commodore while the new Chevrolet SS is a rebadged VF Commodore. I'm going to chock this up as one of the myriad benefits of being a citizen of sacred Michigan, still the heart of the American automotive industry, even after all that's happened. (A "This Week in Motorsport" aside: I root for the Holden Commodores, especially the works Holden Racing Team [H.R.T.], against the dastardly Ford Falcons in V8 Supercars.)

This afternoon, I saw my very first Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (the brand-new seventh generation Corvette, or C7) in the wild. I fought the madding crowd to snatch fleeting glimpses of the Stingray at the North American International Auto Show last winter, & I've seen many, many photographs as the car has received extensive & fawning coverage in both Car and Driver & Road & Track, but this was the first time I'd really seen one for myself. Holy smoke, that is the very motorcar of my dreams.

No comments: