Sunday, September 1, 2013

High Spirits
I've been experimenting with spirits, with an aim toward broadening my tastes. To this end, I acquired a "fifth" of Canadian Club, a bottle of club soda, & a bottle of non-Vernors ginger ale. I already had on hand a fifth of Bombay Sapphire gin & a bottle of tonic water (with quinine!). What I've discovered so far is that I don't like whiskey as much as I like gin (allowing that Canadian Club covers only a small portion of the wide range of whiskeys), tonic water is far superior to club soda (A.K.A. soda water), & that Canada Dry ginger ale is a much better mixer than Vernors (which, to be fair, is labeled as "ginger soda," not ginger ale). I had two fingers of whiskey straight up, to see what it was like; I shan't repeat that exercise 'til the next time I find myself muttering morosely, "I could use a drink." I remain a gin & tonic man.

A couple years ago, I ordered a Harvey Wallbanger on a lark. One of my companions asked me, "What's in it?" I relied, "I don't know, I've just always been curious."

Project MERCATOR
Friday night, I joined Ska Army at the Table & Tap, because we were both in the mood for cocktails, not beer. I ordered an experimental 7 & 7, but the philistines didn't have Seagram's Seven. I've already cursed them as philistines. What more can I do?

No comments: