Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Queue: Summer Reading

Commentary: This post is very late. I initially saved it on 20 May, over two months hence.

Of Eucharist's three chapters, I liked chapters two & three, "The Eucharist as Sacrifice" & "'If It's a Symbol, to Hell with It'" more than chapter one, "The Eucharist as Sacred Meal." As a frequent reader, watcher, & listener of Word on Fire content, I was not surprised by Eucharist, but I was delighted by much of it. Bishop Barron is a talented communicator. Of course, I'm a convinced believer, a daily communicant; I do not know how the book would affect my old, nominally Catholic self or a seeker from outside the Christian tradition. Of course, I'm always stress that "preaching to the choir" is not a bad thing—choristers need formation & encouragement, too.

I've been making snail's paced progress through Reclaiming Vatican II, but I've been thrilled & encouraged by everything I've read. I'm more than halfways through the book & am now ready to set it aside to take up The Word on Fire Vatican II Collection. Yesterday, I finished chapter three, "The Sacred Liturgy;" so, it is now time to read Sacrosanctum Concilium, the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy. I am very excited to be diving into the doscuments of Vatican II, having before only committed the mistake of reading commentaries on the documents (in the case of one book I read, from a very "liberal" paraconciliar perspective) instead of reading the documents themselves. Primary sources? Let's go!

Ch. 3, "The Sacred Liturgy" >>> Sacrosanctum Concilium, the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy
Ch. 4, "The Church" >>> Lumen gentium, the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church
Ch. 5, "Divine Revelation" >>> Dei verbum, the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation
Ch. 6, "The Church and the Modern World" >>> Gaudium et spes, the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World

My initial thought was to interrupt my reading of Reclaiming Vatican II & The Word on Fire Vatican II Collection to read Ska: An Oral History during SKAugust, but upon further reflection, I think I'll aim to start Ska: An Oral History during SKApril 2023, should the world perdure.

I do want to read, or at least start, Across the Airless Wilds by the fiftieth anniversary of Apollo 17, the final Moon landing, in December 2022.

Recently
Pope Saint John Paul II, Ut Unum Sint: On Commitment to Ecumenism
Tim Gray & Jeff Cavins, Walking with God: A Journey through the Bible
Robert Barron, Eucharist

Currently
Father Blake Britton, Reclaiming Vatican II: What It (Really) Says, What It Means, and How It Calls Us to Renew the Church
Second Vatican Council, The Word on Fire Vatican II Collection

Presently
Earl Swift, Across the Airless Wilds: The Lunar Rover and the Triumph of the Final Moon Landings
Xavier Rynne, Vatican Council II
John W. O'Malley, What Happened at Vatican II
Christopher Carstens, A Devotional Journey into the Easter Mystery
Heather Augustyn, Ska: An Oral History

No comments: