Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hate and Ignorance Go Hand In Hand
So, The Malingerer now believes that AIDS is a "homosexual disease" and that neither HIV nor the AIDS virus may be tramsitted through vaginal intercourse. He presented me with his "evidence" and told me that "doctors and nurses from around here" had told him that only gays and drug users get AIDS; congratulations, Dad, you've regressed to the early '80s. I retorted that there are doctors, both medical and philosophical (MDs and PhDs, kids), who support the "intelligent design" incarnation of Creationism, and that doctors are as human as the rest of us, and subject to the same prejudices and madnesses. I cited the vast majority of medical opinion and he declared the CDC (the Centers for Disease Control) to be part of a vast left wing conspiracy. Furhter, the notion that any heterosexual non-drug users had ever gotten AIDS was a "media creation." He seems to have missed the fact that I was comparing him unfavorably to a Creationist, a group he regards and despises as morons.

The good news (at least for me) is that this claim of AIDS only striking homosexuals proves that my father is not, as he now claims, a Christian; so, I'm once again confident that he's going to Hell when he dies. God has clearly never spoken to my father, for no one whose heart He has touched could embrace such mindless bigotry. I'd ask my dad to watch the movie Boys Don't Cry, but I'm afraid he'd admire the homophobic murderers. My father has always been an asshole, but he used to be smart, with a curious, inquisitive mind. Now, well, he uses about the same percentage of his brain as does Pat Buchanan. In other words, essentially none.

No comments: