Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Anti-Valentine's Song of the Day

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "My Baby's In Love with Eddie Vedder" from Running with Scissors (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: One of the great tragedies of our culture's betrayal of authentic, self-sacrificing love is that we are now so profoundly dissatisfied that we will ignore the persons in front of us to pursue mythologized celebrities. We guffaw in the face of such pain & heartbreak. After we guffaw, we chuckle at our vain attempt to laugh off pain & heartbreak. Pain & heartbreak are inevitable, the constants of "love."
"Well, my baby, my baby, she don't want me no more,
Ever since she saw his poster in that record store,
She said the way he grinds his molars is really sexy,
She thinks he so darned dysfunctional & Generation X-y,
She likes his brooding angst and his wild-eyed stare,
Yeah, he's her very favorite slacker multimillionaire.

"Well, my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder,
She's all crazy 'bout that Eddie Vedder,
Once she was mine, but now I better just forget her,
'Cause my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder…

"Now she's got an unrequited adoration,
For the frustrated, agitated, designated, alienated, spokesman for the disaffected Grunge generation!

"Well, I don't wear Doc Martens and I don't wear flannel,
And I don't boycott the music video channel,
And I just can't compete with all that money and fame,
But I know two can play at this kind of game.
Yeah, let's just see how jealous she'll get
When I start stalking Alanis Morrissette!…

"I said, I said, I said, my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder,
Why'd she have to fall for that Eddie Vedder?
If she wants to leave me I guess I better let her,
'Cause my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder!"

No comments: