Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Lord's Day

Flogging Molly, "Rebels of the Sacred Heart" from Drunken Lullabies (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: "Rebels of the Sacred Heart" is more about cultural Catholicism than religious Catholicism, but that is appropriate to it's selection. The Friday before last, I was wearing the "Enjoy Being Catholic" T-shirt gifted me by Brother & Mrs. Nacho (A.K.A. Brother & Mrs. Envy) when a priest asked me, "How long have you been Catholic?" Without taking any offense, I read into his question the implication that I am an adult convert to the faith. Of course, that is true, from Obi-Wan Kenobi's famous "certain point of view."

I replied, "My whole life. But until five years ago I was a bad Catholic. Well, I'm still a bad Catholic, but I used to be a lazy Catholic. I was just a pew potato." The question was asked in the context of jail ministry, of preaching the gospel to the inmates of the Genesee County Jail, trying to introduce them to the Lord & to show them there is a better way than the cycle of violence & drug abuse that typifies most of their lives.

No comments: