Friday, January 9, 2004

Okay, what the fuck?! From school, I was able to read (and comment upon) Skeeter's blog. But, here at home, I cannot get the page to update; it is stuck on New Year's Eve and the page will not refresh. Why in the high holy hell not? I fucking hate computers. I cannot wait until we switch over to femputers.

Red Star Over China
Your homework for the day is to research and identify the 20th century Chinese leaders listed below. Once you know who they are, email me and, if you're correct, you'll get a gold star. Or perhaps a red star would be more apropos.
Comrade Liu Shaoqi
Comrade Peng Dehuai
Comrade Lin Biao
Comrade Zhou Enlai

Turning Japanese
In the Star Trek universe, almost all Asians appear to be Japanese. Among the five series, there are five prominent Asian characters*, both regulars and recurring characters. Four of those five would seem to be either Japanese or of Japanese descent:

Hikaru Sulu - Star Trek
Keiko O'Brien (maiden name: Keiko Ishikawa) - Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Alyssa Ogawa - Star Trek: The Next Generation
Harry Kim - Star Trek: V'Ger... er, Voyager
Hoshi Sato - Star Trek: Enterprise

So, that's four Japanese and one Korean. There aren't Chinese in the future? Or Cambodians? Or Thais, Vietnamese, or Filipinos, et al.? Nothing offensive is meant by this, it's just an oddity I noticed the other day. Of course, I'm not helping the situation with my constant dmeands for more Daniel Dae Kim.

*I am not counting children, though they make the situation even more Nihon-o-centric: Demora Sulu - Star Trek Generations; Molly O'Brien - Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; Kirayoshi O'Brien - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Apparently, it's a very Asian day. Fitting, as I'm reading Jung Chang's Wild Swans and last night I caught the last half of Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story on TV.

Banzai Beard Bonanza: Day 9
I look horrible. As I feared, I simply do not have hair on my cheeks. I have nice sideburns which, were I so inclined, I could grow into gnarly muttonchops, but from my sideburns to my chin, the hair sticks to my jawline, not daring to venture further north. Blast! As far as the underside of the jaw, though, I'm all set. Neckbeard, here I come.

No comments: