Monday, April 5, 2004

Posers
Margaret Eastman
Mary Peppard
Kari Putterman
Pete Fahrenheit
Parker Peppard
Scipio Winter

Young Margaret - my spectacled, red-haired heroine - has gone through many last names. Originally, she was Margaret Dykehouse, but then I decided to use her as the protagonist of In Search of the Perfect Lesbian (the character is a wee bit older than the story). And obviously, you cannot use a character named Dykehouse at the center of a story about flirting with lesbianism. To do that would be horrible, as horrible as Arthur Miller's Willie Loman (you hack!) or The Truman Show. (Low man, true man, think about it.) Since then, she's been in limbo. Margaret Friday. Margaret Sandhurst. Margaret Adair. At one point, Pete Fahrenheit was Pete Winter; so, once he became Fahrenheit I dallied with the idea of Margaret Winter. But my initials are MW, and I can't have a character who is essentially me as a girl have my initials. Then, she was Margaret Kincaid, and I love the name Kincaid, but somehow the combination just sounded ridiculous. So now she's Margaret Eastman. I change my mind a lot, but this I know is right.

Connect-i-cut
If UConn wins both the men's and women's NCAA tourneys, I'm going to puke. I like the State of Connecticut, but this is just too much.

H-A-D
Have a horny day.

No comments: