Monday, November 22, 2004

I was working at The Palace yesterday (during a 117-116 double overtime victory over the expansion Charlotte Bobcats) when I saw Kid Rock sitting courtside. I loathe the man's music and public persona. Nevertheless, as the game went on I felt a swelling of sympathy for him. Whenever play stopped, autograph seekers and photograph hounds would amble up to him as if they knew him and ask for his signature or a picture of their kid with him. He submitted to all requests; when Palace personnel inquired if he wanted them to put a stop to the appraoches, he waved them off. I don't know if that signaled nobility on his part, or simply resignation. Nevertheless, the entire exercise struck me as being incredibly sad. For Bog's sake, can't the man watch a basketball game in peace?! It is one thing to seek an autograph or a picture after one of his horrible concerts, or at a promotional appearance; such is the price of fame. But the man was just trying to take in a game. Do people think he belongs to them, that by buying his recoreds (or simply recognizing his face, as in my case) they are someone entitled to a small slice of his life? Leave him alone!

In many ways, it must be a terrible things to be famous.

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Today, I wore one of my many Michigan T-shirts; tomorrow, my sole Detroit Lions short. Thank Bog for Joe Pa and the mighty Penn State Nittany Lions, or it would have been an entirely unhappy weekend. That's not completely accurate. Though I am disappointed our pathetic display on Saturday is being rewarded with a trip to Pasadena (I'm Catholic, I like the idea of penance), it's never a bad thing when Wisconsin loses. Boy howdy, Kirk Ferentz has done just a fantastic job at Iowa. Between Iowa, Ohio State, us, and Michigan State (they should be a good team), and who knows what Wisconsin and Purdue will do, the Big Ten will be a very interesting conference next season.

Go Honolulu Blue!
To finish 8-8, my preseason bench mark for a successful season, the Lions must go 4-2 in their six remaining games. I know they have it in them, I just don't know if they know that. Come on, boys, you know you're better than this.

Enterprise - Season 4
"Storm Front, Part I"
"Storm Front, Part II"
"Home"
"Borderland"
"Cold Station 12"
"The Augments"
"The Forge"

In January, the Sci Fi Channel is moving new episodes of Stargate SG-1 to the 8pm timeslot, head to head with Star Trek: Enterprise. No contest. I'll be watching the crappy, crappy eighth season episodes of SG-1 later, on videotape. Thirty-eight years and counting of Star Trek; hail to the king, baby.

No comments: