Friday, November 5, 2004

Vote For Kodos - Bitter Pills
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a jerk and an asshole. My life can be framed as a struggle against these baser tendencies of my character. In the few days that have passed since the election, I have tried not to gloat, tried not to exacerbate the pain felt by my many friends who were Kerry supporters; I know how angry and sad I would have been at a Bush defeat, and have tried to be sympathetic. But then, I read something like this.

(There was a lot more to this post, but when I clicked on the "Save as Draft" button, Blogspot went China Syndrome. Curse you, Pyra Labs!)

Ahem, as I have said since 2000, as long as the Democrats operate under the assumption that W. is a drooling moron, they will lose to him again and again and again. I believe that Tuesday's results bear out this theory. Along the same lines, as long as those entrusted with the stewardship of the Left assume that most Republican voters vote Republican out of ignorance and inferior intelligence, they will lose election after election after election. I believe 2002's midterm elections and this year's congressional gains bear out this theory.

I am a moderate Republican. I call myself "moderate" because I support an array of pretty liberal social positions, while at the same time generally favoring lower taxes, smaller government, and an aggressive, interventionist foreign policy. I am not a conservative, but I would have to be counted among those on the Right. Am I then an idiot? Am I ignorant? I do not know if Ms. Smiley's thinking is typical of those on the Left, but if it is, liberal, or "progressive," candidates will lose time and time and time again. Once again, welcome to Bush Country.

No comments: