Sunday, July 25, 2010

31/29
Welcome to Section 31.

The Explorers Club
No. CLXXV - The Shadow.



"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"



"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit."



"Crime does not pay. The Shadow knows!"



Actor Orson Welles, an early radio voice of The Shadow.



I'm not a fan of Howard Chaykin's attempt to bring The Shadow forward in time to the then-contemporary '80s, but I do love the line splashed across the bottom of the above cover.



I've listened to so many old radio episodes of The Shadow that this episode of "The Explorers Club" wouldn't be complete without at least one mention of Blue Coal.




The Rebel Black Dot Song of My Birthday
The Ataris, "Summer '79" from So Long, Astoria (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Too predictable?

1 comment:

brenda cox giguere said...

Ah, I love The Shadow. I carry around lot of second-hand nostalgia via my father, who was, and remains, a diehard radio show afficionado. I grew up in a house with boxes of radio show recordings he collected, and I still listen to my own copies. My appreciation to the Explorer's Club!