Saturday, July 3, 2010

Project MERCATOR
Another refusal: I have declined an invitation to a World Cup Final viewing party. Ye gods. I am as patriotic an American as the next guy, but I grinned with joy when the United States was knocked out of that nonsense in South Africa for the simple reason that at a stroke that nonsense in South Africa became a lesser part of America's daily discourse. Team U.S.A.'s defeat is the means to an end, about which I feel not the slightest wisp of guilt. Good riddance to this quadrennial boondoggle.

For more on my attitude toward soccer, I refer the curious to Sports Night, specifically the character of Dan Rydell, played with phenomenal skill by the actor Josh Charles. "We'll bring you the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, and, because we've got soccer highlights, the sheer pointlessness of a zero-zero tie."

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, "The Tears of a Clown" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Note to self: Request some manner of ultimate Motown compilation as a Christmas present.

"Now if there's a smile on my face,
It's only there trying to fool the public,
But when it comes down to fooling you,
Now, honey, that's quite a different subject.
Well, don't let my glad expression
Give you the wrong impression.
Really, I'm sad,
Oh, sadder than sad,
You're gone and I'm hurting so bad,
Like a clown I pretend to be glad.

Now there's some sad things known to man,
But ain't too much sadder than
The tears of a clown
When there's no one around."

3 comments:

brenda cox giguere said...

This, too, shall pass.

Mike Wilson said...

Which shall pass?

That nonsense in S.A.: the adverts at the B.B.C. News site that is my homepage have made me well aware that it will all be over in a week's time. Not ideal, but sufficient.

"The Tears of a Clown": Sometimes the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. is a snapshot of my life, other times not. In this case, not. "The Tears of a Clown" is a splendidly catchy and preposterously peppy song given its subject matter; I enjoy the juxtaposition, but also the song itself, without any irony.

brenda cox giguere said...

OK; gotcha.

The "this too shall pass" comment was offered quite broadly and in the spirit of support, just in case there was any undercurrent of melancholy behind recent posts. If you don't actually need it, so much the better...

And while I'm here, I agree: a zero-zero tie speaks for itself!

cheers,
b/cd