Monday, July 12, 2010

The Queue
Like a doomed motorcar attached to a tow rig on MythBusters, Horse Under Water came loose toward the end and started swerving all over the course. So, though I am going to give Deighton another go, I've decided to try his Bernard Samson character, rather than take a second crack at the unnamed protagonist of the "Secret File" series. Berlin Game is the opening chapter of the "Game, Set, Match" trilogy—Berlin Game, Mexico Set, & London Match—which is itself the opening threesome in a trilogy of Bernard Samson trilogies.

Of course, Defend the Realm is an eight-hundred-plus-page monster, dense nonfiction as compared to the breezy fictional fare on which I've been steadily grazing lo these many months, and I'll be forever getting through it; so, I expect it to be some little while before I get to Pretty in Ink, much less what lies beyond.

Recently
Sebastian Faulks, Devil May Care
W. Somerset Maugham, Ashenden: or, The British Agent
Len Deighton, Horse Under Water

Currently
Christopher Andrew, Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5

Presently
Karen E. Olson, Pretty in Ink
Len Deighton, Berlin Game

Len Deighton, Mexico Set
Len Deighton, London Match
OR
John Toland, The Great Dirigibles
Rudyard Kipling, Kim

After the Malarkey
I find myself once again weighing two evils to determine which is the lesser: the wearying bother of shaving or the unsightliness of scuzzy stubble? I miss my moustache, I miss combing my beard. A fortnight on, I'm no longer surprised to see my philtrum, though I am always slightly chagrined. Of course, due to certain recent events, and the several months necessary before the beard starts living up to its potential, I shall have to remain cleanshaven for at least another month.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Johnny Socko, "Full Trucker Effect" from Full Trucker Effect (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Full Trucker Effect" is the best kind of ridiculous, and I wish Full Trucker Effect was the soundtrack to a trucker film that it purports to be.

No comments: