Friday, March 6, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day

Rilo Kiley, "A Better Son/Daughter" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I needed a fight song today, but a bitter, melancholy fight song. "A Better Son/Daughter" fit the bill to perfection. Pardon her French.

"Sometimes in the morning I am petrified & can't move,
Awake but cannot open my eyes,
And the weight is crushing down on my lungs,
I know I can't breathe
And hope someone will save me this time…

"Crawl back into bed to dream of a time
When your heart was open wide
And you loved things just because…

"And sometimes when you're on you're really fuckin' on,
And your friends they sing along and they love you,
But the lows are so extreme that the good seems fuckin' cheap
And it teases you for weeks in its absence.

"But you'll fight and you'll make it through,
You'll fake it if you have to,
And you'll show up for work with a smile!
You'll be better and you'll be smarter
And more grown up and a better daughter
Or son and a real good friend.

"You'll be awake, you'll be alert,
You'll be positive though it hurts,
And you'll laugh and embrace all your friends!
You'll be a real good listener,
You'll be honest, you'll be brave,
You'll be handsome and you'll be beautiful!

"You'll be happy!…"

No comments: