Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Rebel Black Dot Christmas Song of the Day


Reel Big Fish, "Whatever U Celebrate" from the Happy Skalidays E.P. (The Last Jolly Man)

Skammentary: "Whatever U Celebrate" is entirely out of character for the Reel Big Fish. So out of character that I'm not entirely sure what to think, how to react. R.B.F. are known for being the angriest, most bitter of all ska bands, with songs titled, "Hate You," "P.S. I Hate You," Your Guts (I Hate 'em)," "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful," & "Don't Start a Band," not to mention their album, We're Not Happy 'Til You're Not Happy. They are snarky, sarcastic, & just plain mean. Then, like a bolt out of the clear, blue sky comes "Whatever U Celebrate," a song veritably overflowing with good will. I'm glad to hear them turn over a new leaf, but I confess that I find the whole song very confusing.
"Whatever you celebrate, this one's for you,
Whatever holiday you're into, well, that's up to you,
Whatever you celebrate, I hope it's awesome for you,
And I just want to say, have a happy holiday.

"So merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah,
I hope you have an unforgettable Kwanzaa,
Happy new year, I hope it's the best one yet.
I do!

"Whatever you celebrate, this one's for you…

"So if it's wintertime, or summer for you,
Just have a good time when you do what you do,
It's that time of year, let's have some fun,
And happy holidays, no matter which one…"

No comments: