Sunday, July 28, 2019

Bonus! Song o' the Day: 40 Jahre


Fun (featuring Janelle Monáe), "We Are Young" from Some Nights (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: May I please be middle aged? The goals posts keep moving! When I was a lad, one was middle age by thirty, maybe thirty-five, but definitely by forty. My sister devised a scheme whereby one was young until age thirty-three, middle aged until age sixty-six, & then old until death at age one hundred; whatever that fanciful scheme's flaws, it had the virtue of being consistent. If I, at forty, am still young, when do I get to be middle aged? At fifty? Fifty-five? I'm never going to collect Social Security, the system will be bankrupt decades before I become eligible; so, I can't use that as a line of demarcation. May I please just be middle aged now?

No comments: