Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' Independence Day


Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, "Coming to America" from Me First & the Gimme Gimmes Have Another Ball (The Last Angry Patriot)

Commentary:
"…Everywhere around the world,
They're coming to America!
Every time that flag's unfurled,
They're coming to America!
Got a dream to take them there,
They're coming to America!
Got a dream they come to share,
They're coming to America!

"They're coming to America!
They're coming to America!
They're coming to America!
They're coming to America today!
Today!
Today!
Today!
Today!

"My country 'tis of thee,
Today!
Sweet land of liberty,
Today!
Of thee I sing,
Today!
Of thee I sing, yeah!"
Operation AXIOM | Liberty & Union
Two hundred forty-three years ago to the day, 4 July 1776, the United States of America declared independence from the British Empire. With every passing year, I find it harder & harder to see the good things about we Americans as a people & easier & easier to see the bad things about the United States as a polity. I still have a deep & abiding love for this land of my birth & for my fellow citizens, but I'm a far more skeptical patriot that I was not so many years hence. I find myself unable to comprehend, let alone cotton to the optimism & confidence I evinced in my 2015 Fourth of July reflection (hyperlinked below). My views are in flux & my heart is troubled by so much of what I see around me.

But, for the nonce, all that's neither here nor there. The United States of America declared its independence, 4 July 1776, two hundred forty-three years ago today.

The Wayback Machine Tour of the Rebel Black Dot Song o' Independence Day
Fourth of July '18 \ Fourth of July '17 \ Fourth of July '16 \ Fourth of July '15

No comments: