Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKApril XIV

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "You Left Right?" from Pin Points and Gin Joints (Rude Boy Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary: I ruminated this morning on all the false friends I made in college at the turn of the millennium. I've heard it remarked that the friends one makes at college one makes for a lifetime, but that was not at all my experience. I learned a great deal about true friendship by experiencing the slings & arrows of false friendship: mockery, betrayal, & abandonment.
"…Are you regretful? Are ya?
Are you remorseful? Are ya?
Are you successful? Or are you just trying to make it through?

"Did your whole world just shatter?
Are you happy or sadder?
Does it really matter?
And did I ever matter to you?"
Of course, I also made the best friends of my life during the same period, my brothers in Blue Tree Whacking (B.T.W.), ska kids all. We are scattered to the four winds & don't see each other as often as any of us like, casualties of a pernicious American culture that prizes career ahead of camaraderie & community. I think about B.T.W. (above, during the halcyon days of yore) often during SKApril.

No comments: