Tuesday, January 28, 2003

House of Delicious Candies 19, Red House 6
Yes, yes, now even the co-rec team has become an innertube water polo juggernaut. I only mention this game, whereas I have not mentioned the previous two, because our opponent, Red House, is a team made up of many of my co-workers. It was a delight to outmaneuver them, outstrategize them, and overpower them. Actually, the key to our victory was the same as with the All-Stars: communication. Plus, I brought Katie, Whitney, and Lifeguard Girl, doubling the number of girls and allowing them to sub (an entire game of innertube water polo is an exhausting affair). We also moved Kristina Martel, her brother Kevin is an All-Star, to forward and racked up those girl points. (In co-rec, every goal scored by a boy is one point, each goal by a girl is two.) At one point, I was able to carry the ball deep into their zone. Tez, an official with whom I've often worked, said, "Wilson's got no shot!" So, I waited, saw an opening, and thread the needle between the upraised arms of two defensemen and past the goalie. I scored a goal! I never score, I'm a fucking defenseman. It was cool! Paddling hard to get back to assist on D, I joyfully cried, "Ha! Your asses got scored on by a defenseman!" In sports, I believe, it is right and proper to let one's passions occasionally take control.

No comments: