Monday, August 2, 2004

To the 5 Boroughs (Shameless Self-Promotion)
To all the kids I met this weekend in New York City: you seem like a worldly and erudite lot. As such, you'd love The Newsletter! To subscribe - fo' free! - contact sonofthenewsletter@yahoo.com. And do yourself the favor of reviewing The Newsletter Online. Hours of fun.

The Queue
Bernard Goldberg, Arrogance
Michael Ledeen and William Lewis, Debacle
Sarah Vowell, The Partly Cloudy Patriot *left in NYC at Skeeter's request*
Steve Martin, Shopgirl
the 9/11 Commission, Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States *airport impulse buy*
Thomas P.M. Barnett, The Pentagon's New Map
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch
Tobias Wolff, This Boy's Life
Tobias Wolff, Old School
Lucinda Rosenfeld, Why She Went Home *reread*
Alistair MacLean, raid my dad's collection
Leslie Charteris, raid the library

Speaking of Libraries
So, I went to the library on Thursday. Note that when I say "went to the library" I mean the library of my youth, Grand Blanc's own McFarlan Library. If I meant the library at school I'd say "I was in the library today." So anyway, I went to the library to check out a book on heraldy and another on the history of flags. (I have peculiar interests. Sue me.) Anyway, there was a guy ahead of me, a well-built man in his sixties, dressed in buiness casual attire. The librarian, while stamping the man's books, made some innocent, inane comment. Smalltalk. So Mr. Business Casual sez, "Well, I shouldn't have to work past 65, but I do." As the kids say, wtf? The librarian just smiled awkwardly. What else could he do? He was just trying to pass the time while stamping the guy's books, and the guy unloads his problems on him. It was entirely inappropriate. You can unload on your bartender, dude, but leave the poor librarian alone. He doesn't need your problems.

No comments: