Friday, March 2, 2007

The Anniversary Party
Five years ago to the day, The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society was still in its infancy: growing, to be certain, but in fits and starts. I entertained the idea of correctly all the flaws that the second post lamented, but decided against it. I have very mixed feelings about the Special Editions of the A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, but as a general principle I despise revisionist history. The past is what it was, warts and wonders both, and we should attempt to neither cover up those blemishes nor overemphasize them to serve some modern aspiration. Codenames had not yet been added to my bag of tricks; yes, I called my housemate Mike "Uncle Jerry" in the second earliest post, but that was his to-his-face nickname long before it was his Secret Base codename. The Plate is the later codename of the Jim mentioned, and you all know that David is the one and only Mountain of Love. And SLC Punk is still a great film.

As to the clearly ridiculous statement, "I'm a punk," I can offer nothing in my own defense. Here's the past, warts and all.

No comments: