Thursday, March 29, 2007

Fuzzy Math
There are around 6,600,000,000 human beings living on this doomed earth. Use of ethanol fuel by the 300,000,000 people of the United States would lead to the death of 3,000,000,000 people worldwide? Nearly half the planet's population of Homo sapiens sapiens? Castrolink. That's an... odd statement, even from a man who still thinks Communism is a good idea.

The Winged Wheel
The hating of Todd Bertuzzi is going well enough, but the withdrawl of support from the Red Wings has proven much more difficult. The same blackened chunk of resentment and scorn that occupies the place in my chest where a heart should be, the very instrument that allows me to indict Bertuzzi's entire life without a second thought, refuses to obeys the brain's edicts. A involuntary smile still parts my lips when I read of each Detroit victory, a frown greets each defeat, though in the interest of full disclosure I did snicker with malignant delight upon learning that the Red Wings lost the first game in which Bertuzzi desecrated the winged wheel. (For this we sacrificed honor and all sense of propriety?) The engine of spite that sits between my lungs must be broguht to heel; the mind reigns supreme here, curse thee. (At this, the dark bastard whispers You wish, jerkhole.)

I cannot in good conscience support the monster Bertuzzi or the mercenary amorality of the Wings front office, but my heart doesn't care about principle. My heart conspires with the film archives of my memory to remember the summer of '98 and smoking Cuban cigars (personally smuggled in from Canada) on the deck of Nicky the Greek's parents' house after the Wings won their second consecutive Stanley Cup. Damn good times.

Casey: "What happened to your values?"
Danny: "I find that maintaining them is a lot of work. I take a day off now and then."
Casey: "You take a vacation from doing the right thing?"
Danny: "Yeah. I don't loot storefronts or anything, but once in a while when I consider the effort it will take to diligently adhere to a moral compass, I take myself out of the line-up and rest for the next day."

I don't know if Dan Rydell is right, but he makes a good point.

No comments: