Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Anti-Valentine's Song of the Day

Reel Big Fish, "Please Don't Tell Her I Have a Girlfriend" from Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Welcome to the meanest week of the R.D.B.S.O.T.D.'s whole year.

"Please don't tell her I have a girlfriend,
Please don't tell her I have a girlfriend,
'Cause it's so hard, can't even pretend
That I only want to be her friend.

"Well, I don't deserve it, you know that it's true,
But she said that she would and you know I would too,
Oh, oh, What am I gonna do?…"

Interestingly, "Please Don't Tell her I Have a Girlfriend" is the thematic opposite of the earlier "A Little Doubt Goes a Long Way," wherein the protagonist goes out of his way to avoid the infidelity relished by today's song's protagonist. Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?

No comments: