Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Scrawl down to this week's episode of "The Explorers Club." It's my very favoritest part of The Secret Base.

BTW South Song of the Day
Duvall, "Racine" from Volume & Density (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I thought about substituting "Racine," one of the most romantic songs in my collection, for "The Body of an American" as Saturday's Song of the Day, in celebration of The L.A.W's engagement to The Maine Man, but it seems like I've got siblings getting engaged left and right; St. Patrick's Day, by contrast, comes 'round but once a year. I have often bitterly denounced Ireland as a den of neutrality, but there should be no mstake, I am proud of my Irish heritage. You see, the Ireland I hate is the Ireland my ancesters left. It was not good enough for them; so, they came to America. Like the rest of Europe, Ireland is full of the complacent and the corrupt, those without the courage to forge a better life in the New World. All that is best about England, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden left; the Europeans we know today are the degenerate progeny of what remained after all the brave and noble souls had emigrated. The Ireland I hate, the Ireland that allied with the Kaiser during the Great War and was scrupulously neutral toward both Hitler and Stalin, is the country my forefathers quit. I would not object so strongly to the bigoted, debauched manner in which "St. Paddy's Day" is defiled here in America if I was not proud of my Irish blood. My middle name is Patrick, after all.

So, Saturday's Song of the Day could not be changed from "The Body of an American." So, here's "Racine," and for lack of a better gesture this one goes out to The L.A.W and The Maine Man. He will make a most excellent brother-in-law.


Codename: CHAOS
And of course all this raises the question of matrimonial codenames. When she married, Ham 'n' Eggs became Mrs. Blinky; Never Girl became Mrs. Sacramento. I usually refer to Daddy Dylweed's bride as "the lovely Kristy," but if the issue of anonymity ever came up I would refer to her as Mrs. Dylweed. Now that I think about it, Father Steve's codename may need to be revamped, as "Mrs. Steve" leaves much to be desired. And what do I call Dylweed's precious sons? How about Dylweed J and Dylweed Z. Or J Dylweedson and Z Dylweedson? (Dylweed, thoughts?) Father Steve's infant son? Yes, Father Steve definitely needs a new codename, one that will be forumlated with the missus and their son in mind.

In all likelihood, the Mountain of Love, formerly known as the Bald Mountain, will become the Mountain of Matrimony once he was donned the irrevocable shackles of holy matrimony. (Though, the wedding will take place in, I think, a Lutheran church; so, there won't really be anything "holy" about the proceedings.) And what of his intended, The Buckeye? Mrs. Mountain of Matrimony? A bit unwieldly, but easily shortened to Mrs. Mountain for practical usage.

But when am I to call The L.A.W. and The Maine Man? I doubt she'll change her name; so, her initials will still be L.A.W. I could call him Mr. The L.A.W. of Mr. L.A.W., but that seems awfully emasculating. At the same time, I've always had a hard time accepting that my aunt and uncle in Austin are really married since a) they have different last names and b) they don't have any kids. I would like for The L.A.W. and The Maine man's codenames to be related to reinforce the sense that these two people are irrevocably shacked one to the other. Mr. and Mrs. Maine L.A.W.? I'll have to keep at it.

Suggestions are most welcome; so, it's time to put you lazy bums to work. Thinking caps, kids, I expect gold-standard ideas.

No comments: