Friday, March 30, 2007

Deep in the Heart of Darkness... er, Texas
The Buckeye was supposed to arrive this evening and stay until the eve of Easter. However, due to a line of "severe" storms moving through the Lone Star State the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) shut down. Completely. With such a large number of flights to finesse into the already hectic flight schedule, she now won't arrive until Sunday afternoon, barring any further delays. Fucking Texas. As it happened, all the storms were south of BTW South, and we are south of DFW; so, the airport was actually unaffected by the "severe" weather.

The awful truth, dear readers, is that Texas is a land of weaklings. Texans are pussies. They wilt at the threat of 32 degrees Fahrenheit and head for the hills at the merest sign of thunder and lighting. The "storms" that ravaged Texas this evening wouldn't even be worth mentioning in Michigan. And because of that bullshit, the Mountain of Love is losing three irreplacable days with The Buckeye. This postponement has crushed my brother's spirits. I'll do my best to buoy him, but he'll be inconsolable until she arrives on Sunday. Fucking Texas.

Ricky Fitness
Sunday's run felt great, but both phases of Monday's, Tuesday's, and Wednesday's workouts left me feeling like a modern Sisyphus. Today's run left me demoralized, too, but lifting was something else altogether. I felt like a beast. I added weight to the last set on each machine and pounded out the reps effortlessly. I'm sure each lift tomorrow will feel like a ton of bricks, but for this day at least I was mighty, fearsome, and mighty fearsome.

A pair of young ladies in their twenties entered ye olde fitness center as I was cooling down from my run and engaged in the most unexpected behavior. They exercised in silence through the end of Pardon the Interruption and the switch to Seinfeld, and then exploded into conversation during a commercial break. The episode resumed and they went mum. Please do not mistake me, I am not complaining. I was caught completely off guard. Such consciencious adherence to decorum is all too rare in this age of incivility; I certainly would not have displayed such gentility. (Then again, I am a boor.) Thank you, ladies, and I do truly mean ladies.

BTW South Song of the Day
Steve Martin, "King Tut" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: