Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Rebel Black Dot Drinking Songs of the Day
John Lee Hooker, "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" from The Definitive Collection (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Contrasting with "Whiskey & Wimmen'," wherein alcohol is the author of John Lee's troubles, in "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer," alcohol is the succor John Lee seeks to relieve his troubles (with a woman).

As Homer Simpson once said, before his show was an abomination, "To alcohol: The cause of, & solution to, all of life's problems."


Montag, 16 Juni
John Lee Hooker, "Whiskey & Wimmen'" from "Boom Boom" and Other Classics (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I have no idea why the song it titled "Whiskey & Wimmen'" instead of "Whiskey & Women" or even "Whiskey & Wimmen." What the apostrophe at the end of "wimmen'" stands for I haven't the foggiest notion. Whatever the title, this is Mr. Hooker's retort to the old line, "I spent most of my money on whiskey & women. The rest I just wasted."

"Whiskey and women almost wrecked my life,
Whiskey and women almost wrecked my life,
Weren't for whiskey and women, I'd have money today.

"Night life, night life, night life,
Ain't no good, ain't no good, ain't no good for me.
I had a good start,
But women and whiskey tore it down…"

No comments: