Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKApril!


Suburban Legends, "You" from Rump Shaker (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: We've established before that romantic love never (or, at best, very, very rarely) works out in third-wave ska, right? It's one of the defining traits of ska-punk. I'm sure my own disastrous history with romance has nothing at all to do with my deep & abiding love for ska.
"Four score and seven minutes ago, our Founding Fathers found the truth of what girls like and what girls don't like. Article I: Girls don't like you. They never will like you! No matter how hard you try, they can't stop you now…

"I see you everywhere, but why aren't you with me?
I've got so much to offer: fun, sensitivity,
But you are too cool to talk to me,
All your friends keep jabbering junk that you are way out of my league.

"So, come on tonight,
Be by my side, all right?
'Cause—

"I like you! Look into my eyes,
I like you! I guarantee you, I'm not like other guys,
I like you! C'mon and give me a try,
I like you! There must be something I can do to change your mind.

"Every story starts like this one, end it here with me,
I can't believe what you're saying: you say it will never be,
And now I'm frowning all the time
Just because your stupid friends have ruined everything and now you'll never be mine…"

No comments: