Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAugust


The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Toxic Toast" from Question the Answers (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: Question the Answers was released in 1994, though I wouldn't discover it 'til well after the 1997 release of Let's Face It. One of the manifold pleasures of ska back in those halcyon days of the turn of the millennium was learning that it wasn't brand new, that I wasn't getting in on the ground floor but stepping into an edifice that had been built up over decades, spanning oceans & cultures. Ska had history! Sweet, glorious history! My primordial passion.

"Toxic Toast" seems an apropos song as we look back with affection on the past twenty years.
"Someone's always up to something,
One thing's always understood:
If nothing happened in a minute,
Wait another, something would.
Avoid the landlord, spend the rent,
Raising hell with reckless style,
And, sure, our time was poorly spent,
But toxic toast still makes me smile.

"Looking back now,
Not sure how
We made it through, not all of us but most.
Still haunts me,
Like it wants me.
I remember, I remember, I remember toxic toast…"

No comments: