Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' Today: SKAugust

Save Ferris, "The World Is New" from It Means Everything (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: I was relatively indifferent to popular music before the Summer of Ska. Many of my kith, especially Daddy Dylweed, were passionate about music to a degree that I simply couldn't understand. All of that changed on that one magical night in 1997, when I heard & saw the music videos for both "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones & "Sell Out" by Reel Big Fish. Save Ferris sing about the world being made new by the mere thought of her beau (though I suppose in today's vernacular he'd be called her "bae"); for your humble narrator, the world is new when that sweet syncopated "riddim" fills my ears & touches my heart. Boisterous brass is a bonus.

No comments: