Monday, August 6, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAugust


Derrick Morgan, "Happy Independence" from Do the Beng Beng (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: In 1998, I was very much new to ska. I would not see my first ska concert 'til the next year, February '99; I was unaware of many of the ska-punk bands who would go on to be counted among my favorites; & I had virtually no knowledge of ska beyond the narrow confines of third-wave ska-punk, of ska's history. I was most assuredly not familiar with Derrick Morgan in 1998. But SKAugust isn't just a tour of the state of ska in 1998, it is a celebration of the last twenty years (actually, the last twenty-one, since the Summer of Ska in '97) with ska in my life, of my life as a ska kid, of my life as a rude boy. 'Tis Jamaica's Independence Day, commemorating independence from disintegrating British Empire, specifically the West Indies Federation, on 6 August 1962.

No comments: