Thursday, March 21, 2002

Dylan's the best. He made a sly reference to the Secret Base in an email he sent yesterday, and it made the world a brighter place. I know exactly why I lost contact with him, and I do not regret it, but at the same time I'm glad to be "talking" to him fairly regularly. I lost contact with Dylan for two reasons: a) I attend the University of Michigan, he attends Brigham Young University; b) he spent two years as a missionary.

a) When you no longer see someone almost everyday in the halls at school, of course you aren't going to stay in as constant of communication. But, that's not really it. Even before graduation, Dylan and I didn't hang out as much as we had. And why, you ask. Why do you think? There is only one thing that can come between two truly good friends: a woman. When Dylan and Julie broke up, it drastically altered our social circle. As time went by, I was one of the only people welcomed into both camps. Still, though, in the eyes of both camps I was tainted. I wasn't ideologically pure. And eventually I just started hanging out with Julie more than Dylan. (Hanging out is a deceptive term, since I was relentlessly yet fairly teased for almost never going out, prefering to stay in and spend time with my brother.) In any event, once we were in college, we emailed some, but we didn't really see each other much, not even when we were both in Grand Blanc for breaks. I think that's mostly my fault.

b) Dylan went to Mexico on his mission for his church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Yep, my caffeine-loving buddy's a Mormon. Although letters were allowed, I chose not to send any. I wanted this experience to be Dylan's. He was in a foreign place, speaking a foreign tongue, preaching his church's version of the Faith. I wanted him to be a Petri dish. I wanted his experience to be as pure as I could make it, to see how it would change him. I sent his parents a letter explaining my theory, placing it in trust to them to give it to Dylan upon his return. Of course, they misplaced it, but that doesn't really matter. Once he was back, it took us a while to get back into any sort of rhythm. I think we're still finding it. All I know is it's good to have my friend back. (Too much sugar, I need to go puke.)

For those in the know, it's been a slow day. So far, I've only got one.

No comments: