Wednesday, February 4, 2004

"But you're better than normal. You're abnormal!"
--Philip J. Fry to Turanga Leela, Futurama

Zooey Deschanel Appreciation Day
Sweet fancy Moses, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy begins filming in April! And Ms. Deschanel will be playing Trisha MacMillan a.k.a. the ever-mercurial Trillian!

Vote For Kodos: Old School
Former Senator Bob Dole was the guest on The Daily Show tonight. Man, he would have been such a good president. Think about it, my donkey-loving friends, had Senator Dole bested President Clinton in '96, he probably would have been reelected in 2000, leaving Dubya as the relatively harmless governor of Texas. You guys shouldn't bitch about "43"; he's a problem of your own creation.

Bob Dole at Grand Blanc High School, home of the Bobcats, Fall 1996:
"We already have a cat in the White House. Socks. Don't you think it's about time we had a Bob?"

Hi-larious Mike Luckovich editorial cartoon, titled "Bob Dole, Age 1 1/2," Fall 1996:
"Bob Dole hates carrots! Bob Dole will scream unless he gets a cookie!! Don't spank Bob Dole!!"

Moving On
Speaking of Old School (the novel by Tobia Wolff, not the wicked funny movie starring Luke Wilson), I am very much looking forward to reading it. I greatly enjoy Wolff's writing, both his short stories and his memoirs, though I sometimes feel I'm not smart enough to understand what he's really trying to say.

Who's more intriguing: Mishal Husain or Morgan Webb? Decisions, decisions.... While I am drawn to Ms. Webb's spunk and quasi-tomboyishness, I think we all recognize that there are few things I find as attractive as cold British indifference. I am powerless before Ms. Husain's accent.