Tuesday, February 17, 2004

"Korea is so far away,
Korea is so far away,

And this is my special friend
We'd meet secretly in the park
And wonder why
We couldn't share ourselves.

Korea is so, it's so far away,

Oh, I want to share
My round-eyed devil with you,
And she's not so different
From you."
--Mike Park, "Korea Is So Far Away"

Mike Park is the founder of the world's most amazing record label, Asian Man Records. Mu330, Potshot, Johnny Socko, Korea Girl, The Chinkees, Alkaline Trio*, The Lawrence Arms, the list goes on and on. On Asian Man, there is something for everybody.

One day, I was walking down the street wearing my Asian Man Records T-shirt; the logo of Asian Man is a red/blue yin-yang, with "Asian Man Records" written below in English and "Asian Man" written above in Korean. As I approached a man - a middle-aged Asian man - I could see him reading my shirt. Just before we passed each other, I saw his face break into a large smile. Thanks, Asian Man, for helping me make an Asian man's day!

The worst part about not having any money is falling behind in my collecting of Asian Man albums.

*Alkaline Trio is okay. They aren't great. I'd worship them forever, though, if they subtlely altered their name to the Al Kaline Trio. The Plate first called that possibility to my attention. I don't care much for baseball, but that would be awesome.

Banzai Beard Bonanza: Day 48
Nothing much to report, except I'd really, really like to shave.

No comments: