Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of Ash Wednesday

Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from Nevermind (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: In preparation for Lent, itself the preparation for Easter, itself the preparation for the rest of our earthly lives, yesterday I read a blog post titled "40 Ways to Win Lent" (hyperlink). Way № 21 is "Spend some time around incense," with the commentary "I'm not kidding. It will concentrate your attention on God." The train from there is pretty straightforward: Spend some time around incense, incense smells like holiness, smells like "Smells Like Teen Spirit," & here we are.

Project GLOWWORM
Ash Wednesday is one of the few days of the year when I do not sport a hat on the way to Mass, & maybe the only day of the year when I do not sport a hat at all. I do this because I am vain & do not wish the hat to wipe off the ashes with which I was marked at morning Mass. 'Tis very cold today, so at least I will suffer physically & directly for this vanity.

No comments: