Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day

Barenaked Ladies, "Bank Job" from Barenaked Ladies Are Me (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Thinking of "Bank Job," this morning I remarked to my mother how much easier it would be to avoid sin if there were nuns everywhere you looked. "You're thinking of sinning," I said, "and here comes a penguin."

"I was the driver, you ran the show,
You had the last word, the Go or No Go,
I knew every laneway in Ontario,
But it's not what you're sure of, it's what you don't know.

"It should have been filled with the usual ones,
Throwing their cash into mutual funds,
We all had our ski masks and sawed-off shotguns,
But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?

"Well, I guess we panicked, we all have taboos,
They were like zebras, they had us confused,
We should be in condos with oceanfront views,
Instead we're Most Wanted on the six o'clock news…"

4 comments:

The Green Eyed Monster said...

Yeah right, you know those nuns were always getting into trouble, I mean why would they have their own dedicated confessional in the convent. They didn't have time to go to the priest, the priest had to come to them.

J.R. said...

You clearly have never gotten in trouble for something that a religious sister started. (techinicly, nuns are the ones that are cloistered and never leave the convent, so if there are nuns everwhere you look, it's because you just broke into a convent. You might want to confess that, they have a confessional nearby.)

Mike Wilson said...

I've heard more than one priest say that hearing confession from nuns (& here, despite the technical inaccuracy, I'll include all religious sisters under that designation) is like being pelted with popcorn, so I'll still regard an abundance of nuns as a useful reminder to shun sin, or at least strive to do so.

Question: Is there a collective noun for a group of nuns? If not, might I suggest a murder of nuns, like crows, or maybe a crash of nuns, like rhinoceroses.

J.R. said...

According to the internet a group of nuns are a superfluity.