Monday, May 24, 2004

Beauty
I had occasion this afternoon to stop by the Kessel (technically Kroger, but it'll always be Kessel to me... "We're with you!") in Grand Blanc to return some bottles and cans. How people in other states live, I don't know. No $0.10 bottle deposit? You savages! While in Kessel, I saw the most beautiful girl in the world. She was a young mother - thin, blonde, and stylish - made all the more beautiful by her two young, two-headed sons.

This suburban Venus got me thinking about something Skeeter said several months ago. She sort of retracted it and said she didn't mean it, but I think there's some truth in her original premise. I am a fat tub of lard; at this point, I am as fat as I have ever been in my whole life. At the same time, I continually have crushes on and infatuations with physically beautiful girls. Skeeter's premise is that this in unfair of me. I expect to form some kind of relationship with these girls (not the mother in kessel, but the girls I've known), yet I am unwilling to put in the same work they do. No one is just perfect. it takes discipline to eat properly and exercise regularly. They have invested time and effort to look good, and more than that they give a damn enough to look good. I do not. I do not put in the time, I do not practice the discipline, I don't care enough to get rid of my substantial potbelly, nor to wear presentable clothing.

Simply put, I hold those I desire to a higher standard than I do myself. At the very least, that makes me a hypocrite and a bastard.

On an only tangentally related note, let me quote Michael Rappaport from the film Beautiful Girls, "A beautiful girl is the promise of a better tomorrow."

Crap
Led Zeppelin

A Note about "Crap." I will never put a band in "Crap" simply because someone mentions them to me. But, if a band is already crappy and you try to tell me this is not so, you're pretty much guaranteeing that band will be featured in a day or so. Ye be fairly warned.

H-A-D
Have a typographical day

No comments: