Friday, May 21, 2004

The Week That Was
One problem I've been having recently is time. Getting up early for work is killing me, plus I have numerous creative projects vying for my attention: of late I've been putting a ton of work into strengthening the foundation of The Newsletter; catching up with comics (and culling the herd); trying to do solid work on the Space Pirates Project, Margaret Eastman & Co., SPQR, and the Empire of Pictus; and listening to my new music, my first new tunes since Christmas (and tons more on the way!).

Also, between Skeeter being back, Danny Boy leaving, and seeing the Squirrel King and Saturday Night for the first time in ages, there's been a good deal of rumination/introspection about the follies and clusterfucks that brought me to this point, and where I go from here.

On the other hand...

"We're here, so clear,
Turn up your radio,
'Til your speakers both explode,
Turn up your radio."
--The Hippos, "We're Here" from The Hippos

Profound, no; but catchy as all get out.

It's a damn shame The Hippos are gone, but at the same time one has to marvel at the glory of a band that cares enough about their fans to put together an album specifically as a farewell. What's wrong with American music is not that The Hippos broke up, but that there is no one to succeed them.

No comments: