Sunday, June 13, 2004

The Aquabats!
Yesterday! Yesterday! Yesterday! Hurray! I have a severely stuffed nose, and not being able to breath always puts a damper on my spirits; so, I shan't enumerate for you right now the many ways in which last night was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. But fear not, dear reader, I shall enumerate in time.

The Motor City
(As you read this, please note that it has nothing to do with the impending triumph of the Detroit Pistons over the Los Angeles Lakers.) I love the City of Detroit. I am not from Detroit, I do not claim to be from Detroit; hell, I'm not even from Flint. I am from an affluent suburb, the name of which translates into English as "big white." But whenever I am in Detroit, as I was for baseball games today and on Friday and for The Aquabats! last night, I feel a great swell, not of pride, but of love. I love Detroit. I don't think Detroit requires saving anymore (thank you, Dennis Archer, from the bottom of my heart), but I want to help Detroit. I want to see Detroit recapture some of her lost glory. I want Detroit to have something to brag about, not just things to apologize for. I want Detroit to swagger.

Places to go: St. Andrew's Hall, The Shelter, the State Theatre, the Majestic Theatre; the Detroit Opera House, Orchestra Hall; Joe Louis Arena, Comerica Park, Ford Field (damn it, I will see a Lions game this Fall).

Crap
Aerosmith

H-A-D
Have an infinite day.

No comments: